We have now been snowed in for a whole week, and the garden looks amazingly like Tove Jansson’s drawings for Moominland Midwinter. We have accordingly entered upon a Ten Point Moominification Plan.
2. Acquire a Porcelain Stove
3. Eat more pancakes (with raspberry jam)
4. Have August parties that go on after moonrise
5. Drink raspberry juice
6. Hang small coloured lanterns in the trees
7. Go fishing, and smoke the fish
8. Have a glass ball at the end of the garden for seeing things upside-down in
9. Acknowledge the importance of coffee
10. Avoid Grokes
We don’t have a porcelain stove, but otherwise it’s going pretty well. There is a Scottish firm which sells raspberry juice under the rather curious name of Bouvrage, and very nice it is too. We had a green glass witchball in our previous garden, and I don’t know what’s happened to it — if it turns up somewhere perhaps we should reinstate it at the end of the wood, to surprise the deer.